Wednesday, February 7, 2007
Recently i saw this posting on a friend's blog on myspace (by the way, here's mine
) and I loved what it stood for so I decided to post it...24 THINGS A WOMAN SHOULD NEVER APOLOGIZE FOR
1. Never apologize for pursuing what makes you happy. Even if you need to quit your job, transfer schools, or move across country, always do what you really want.
2. Never apologize for using proper English. Keeping it real doesn't mean you have to speak Ebonics.
3. Never apologize for giving your best in a relationship that just
didn't work out.
4. Never apologize for being successful. Only haters want to keep you at their level.
5. Never apologize for crying. Wear waterproof mascara and express yourself.
6. Never apologize for ten pounds you need to lose. People who truly care about you will accept you as you are.
7. Never apologize for being frugal. Just because you save your money instead of blowing it on the latest fashion emergency doesn't mean you're cheap.
8. Don't apologize for being a single Mom. Babies are a blessing.
9. Never apologize for treating yourself to something special. Sometimes you have to show yourself some appreciation.
10. Never apologize for leaving an abusive relationship. Your safety should always be a priority.
11. Never apologize for keeping the ring even if you did not get
12. Never apologize for setting high standards in a relationship. You know what you can tolerate and what simply gets on your nerves.
13. Never apologize for saying NO.
14. Never apologize for wearing a weave or braids. You bought it so it's yours.
15. Never apologize to your new friends about old friends. There's a reason she's been your girl from day one.
16. Never apologize for ordering dessert or more than one dessert.
17. Never apologize for dating outside your race. Just because you found Mr. Right across the color line doesn't mean you don't love your brothas.
18. Never apologize for demanding respect. You are to always be
treated as a queen.
19. Never apologize for not knowing how to cook. Even if you can't burn like Grandma you know how to order good take out. (Right Girl!)
20. Never apologize for your taste in clothes. It's your style.
21. Never apologize for changing your mind, it is your prerogative.
22. Never apologize for making a decision from your heart, even if
others don't agree. You have to live with the consequences not them.
23. Never apologize for making more money than your man, you work hard and you deserve to get paid.
24. Never apologize for being you!
The month of February is Black History month, and while I do feel that blacks deserve to be celebrated for a month if not all year-long. I also feel that all of the issues that we face today
should not be only quarted off to one day, or one month. I feel that black pride and black
history is something that should be looked at all year long.
On the other hand, I also feel that issues such as the focus on violence towards women or children, and homelessness need be something that needs to be concentrated on every day. In a time such as now I believe, as a black woman that we need to break out of the racial
constraints that we as a society have placed on ourselves, WE ARE ALL PEOPLE!!! If my husband were ever to lay a hand on my son or myself I would need the same assistance that a white women would need...Plus a gun. lol. If someone were ever to hurt my child I would take the same steps a white woman would take. i feel that we as a society need to get rid of the black history month. Make black history something that we as a people do not forget. Let not blacks forget the wonderful advancements we have contributed to bringing into the world as we know it, and let not whites forget the shame of their ancestors, let not jews forget the strength of their concentration camp-bound ancestors, and let not the germans repeat the mistakes that they have repeated in the past. Let all middle easterners understand that they are fighting a war that is not necessary, that the land that blood has been shed over is not only no longer holy, but will never belong to either group as all land belongs to god.
We as a people...not only Americans but everyone should realize that whether we were made by a god, whether we have evloved from monkeys, or whether we were made from rocks and clay, we are all made of the same things. We should get over what is on our skin and get into what is in our souls and our hearts. Sorry if I started rambling...just had to talk to someone.
Posted by ME at 2:53 PM